This is a sad story of a woman who was pregnant with twins, but found out one of her twins was anencephalic (he had no brain). She knew he would die days after birth, and she was determined to honor him in the short time he was alive.
As sad as that is, the more heart wrenching part is most of the 67+ comments that MeFites threw in. There is so much wrong with many of their comments that I'm pulling metafilter totally off my reading list. I was disgusted.
Issues include (shall we make a list?):
- Saying that she put her other baby in danger for not aborting the anencephalic child, and that she was a selfish idiot for doing so.
- Saying she was selfish for having her first disabled child who has cerebral palsy (as if you can diagnose that in utero) and so many other poor assumptions about CP.
- Saying that a person with CP would be better off aborted.
- Saying that she was irresponsible because she bought an outfit to bury her child in rather than paying her electric bill.
- Saying that she didn't make an informed decision because the decision she made was not to intervene.
- Saying she should have had an abortion while simultaneously proclaiming to be "pro-choice."
- Claiming to know whether an anencephalic child suffered more by dying outside the wound rather that through an abortion.
- Having no clue of the risks of selective reduction vs. the risks of a live twin birth, and yet squawking as if you do.
- Saying that if you say something like, "I'm putting this is God's hands," it means you've given up your entire brain to God.
- Having the audacity to really think you'd make any better or different choice when you've never been in this woman's situation.
- Blaming her for being poor and having children.
- Blaming her for not giving her children up for adoption.
- Blaming her for not being married.
I could go on. I'm done. And I'm done with Metafilter. Who ARE these people?